- 0827Z 8933kHz San Francisco SELCAL’s on DLPR (DAL B772 N860DL) twice and calls Delta 583 (Dallas/Ft. Worth-Shanghai) but I don’t hear a reply from the aircraft or from SFO. The flight is currently north of Russia on a polar route
- 2157Z 8867kHz Frozen 32 calls Auckland and reports HELGE 2155 FL180, Auckland can’t be heard this time of the morning
Here it is, my first Kenwood R-5000!
I think it’s well used but in good working order and going very nicely at the moment.
I’ve also ordered an Afedri SDR-Net to complement the shack and that should take a week or so to arrive.
I should be back blogging very soon.Read More
Well the RSP2 hasn’t cut the mustard so I’m on the lookout for a new SDR receiver, does anyone have one they no longer need? I’m open to offers from evaluation items to purchasing outright, preferably pre-loved items. My contact details are here, just click on my name.Read More
- 0806Z 8870kHz San Francisco SELCALs on EFLR (UAL B738 N77296) and United 154 (Truk-Guam) responds. SFO advises ATC requests your current altitude, UAL154 advises level FL280
- 0820Z 8951kHz Tokyo SELCALs on BPRS (UAL B744 N116UA) and calls United 2099 (Chicago-Tokyo) and advises if you copy come up on 5628. There’s no response from the aircraft
- 0826Z 5628kHz Tokyo advises Unitd 2099 to select COMOFF and logon to RJJJ. UAL2099 reads back
- 0832Z 5598kHz Santa Maria (very weak) provides Oceanic clearance to Portugal 1864 (Ponta Delgada-Lisbon) and provides a SELCAL check on FQLR (TAP A319 CS-TTH)
- 0632Z 8867kHz United 916 calls Auckland and advises they are CPDLC and understand this is primary, secondary 5643 and SELCAL code is QRFG (UAL B722 N222UA). SELCAL check is good
- 0634Z 8867kHz Emirates 413 (Auckland-Sydney) calls Auckland reports they are CPDLC. Auckland provides a SELCAL check on KMCD (UAE A388 A6-EUL)
- 0705Z 8933kHz San Francisco calls Jetstar Asia 764 (Kansai-Manila) and asks how they copy SFO but aircraft cannot be heard and SFO advises to standby for company. A short moment later the company dispatch reads back what I think is an ops normal report and the connection through SFO is terminated
- 0705Z 8903kHz Tokyo calls American 175 (Dallas/Ft Worth-Tokyo) and SELCALs on JPQR (UAL B772 N787AL) but there’s no reply
- 0736Z 5643kHz New Zealand 29 (Houston-Auckland) calls Tahiti requesting a SELCAL check but Tahiti can’t be heard
- 0739Z 5643kHz Air Canada 034 calls San Francisco. SFO advises this primary secondary 8867 passing 20N primary is 5547 secondary 6673 and sends a SELCAL check on ARHM (ACA B77L C-FIVK)
- 0749Z 8933kHz San Francisco calls American 125 (Dallas/Ft Worth-Hong Kong) and SELCALs them non AKEQ (UAL B773 N721AN) but gets no response. This flight has just crossed the Russian northern coast from the polar route
- 0148Z 8867kHz Velocity 116 (Brisbane-Queenstown) calls Auckland and reports NUMSA 0147 FL370 MADOK 0225. Auckland advises primary 8867 secondary 13261 and at MADOK contact Christchurch Control on 129.3
- 0212Z 13261kHz QANTAS 145 (Sydney-Auckland) calls Brisbane and reports WALTZ 0210 FL370 ESKEL 0238 LUNBI next. Brisbane advises at ESKEL contact Auckland on 8867
- 0428Z 8855kHz Jestar 120 (Nadi-Sydney) calls Dispatch and advises ETA Sydney 0725. Dispatch reads back
- 0435Z 13306kHz Brisbane working Thai 481 (Bangkok-Perth) with a SELCAL check on HMEK (THA B788 HS-TQD)
- 0446Z 13306kHz Brisbane working Singapore 245 (Singapore-Brisbane with a SELCAL check on KRAB (SIA B772 9V-SVG)
After a busy day in the yard chopping down discones, weather stations and errant inverted V dipoles I found out why my reception was so poor on HF, a broken unun transformer! And there’s me thinking it might be my choice of new SDR! Phew, glad it wasn’t the SDRPlay.
So having reverted to an 8MHz dipole I’ve sacrificed the Diamond D130J discone until I can get another 8m aluminium pole and it looks rosey in the HF garden again!
Stations heard today:
- 0605Z 13285kHz Beijing VOLMET
- 0614Z 13270kHz New York VOLMET with Miami report
- 0618Z 10051kHz New York VOLMET with report for Nassau
- 0620Z 6679kHz Auckland VOLMET with SIGMET 1 report
- 0621Z 5643kHz Emirates 413 (Christchurch-Sydney) gets a SELCAL check from Auckland on DGCQ (UAE A388 A6EUF)
- 0654Z 8867kHz Tahiti working American 82 (Auckland-Los Angeles) with a SELCAL check on DMAE (AAL B788 N802AN)
- 0737Z 8992kHz SkyKing (I think) with EAM
- 0847Z 8921kHz QANTAS 139 (Sydney-Christchurch) calls QANTAS Operations but with no reply. A new one for me this!
- 0953Z 8906kHz Santa Maria working Monarch 420 (Birmingham-Las Palmas) with a SELCAL check on LRFP (MON A321 G-OZBU)
- 1002Z 8879kHz Brisbane working Thai 482 (Perth-Bangkok) with a SELCAL check on HMEK (THA B788 HS-TQD)
- 1044Z 6676kHz Bangkok VOLMET with report for Bangkok
Excuse me while I sort a mess out that’s been created by yours truly! At the same time as receiving my new SDRPlay RSP2 I decided to buy and erect a new Diamond D130J Discone antenna. In order to put up the discone I sacrificed a mast used with my HF dipole and converted that dipole to an inverted V. What a disaster! Reception on HF has gone severely southward at the expense of very nice V/UHF coverage. So as an interim I’m using the discone for HF reception, far from ideal but as soon as a weather window opens I will re-erect the HF dipole and see what I can achieve as far as V/UHF reception goes with the discone.
- 0737Z 8867kHz Jetstar 205 (Sydney-Auckland) calls Auckland and reports ESKEL 0735 FL350 LUNBI 0823 Auckland next. Auckland advises this is primary secondary 5643 and at LUNBI contact Auckland on 123.9. A SELCAL check followed but alas I did not have my decoder on
- 0750Z 8867kHz Velocity 184 calls Brisbane (Nadi-Melbourne) and reports UBLIN 0749 FL360 NATLI 0835. Brisbane advises primary 8867 secondary 13261 squawk 1135, maintain mach decimal 78 and at NATLI monitor Centre on 124.95. A good SELCAL followed on MQLR (VOZ B738 VH-YIF)
- 0802Z 8867kHz Jetstar 1 (Melbourne-Honolulu) calls Nadi. Nadi advises secondary 5643 continue CPDLC and sends a SELCAL check on AHDQ (JST B788 VH-VKI)
- 0843Z 8855kHz Jetsar 216 (Auckland-Melbourne) calls Jetstar Dispatch and advises Ops Normal ETA Melbourne 1201 and have received amended flight plan. Jetstar Dispatch reads back and wishes them a good flight
- 0538Z Auckland clears Magellan 757 (Pago Pago-Honolulu) to climb and maintain FL390 and report level FL390
- 0541Z Magellan 757 reports level FL390 and Auckland rogers the report
I have parted company with my Elad FDM-S2 after buying an SDRPlay RSP1. I found this small, lightweight receiver as good as my Elad on HF but so much better on VHF. On VHF I was let down by my oft failing homebrew antenna so I have bought a new Diamond D130J Discone that is currently winging its way from Australia.
But wait……….there’s more! On the back of selling the Elad I have ordered an SDRPlay RSP2 that is touted to perform even better on HF than the RSP1! This receiver too is winging its way from the UK as I write so hopefully by the end of next week I will have a reasonable set up that covers 1kHz through to 2GHz.