- 0836Z 8933kHz I catch the tail end of a conversation between an unknown ground station and New Zealand 729 (Auckland-Melbourne) who is advising San Francisco ‘thanks for your concern’!
- 0859Z 8879kHz Qantas 718 (Perth-Canberra) calls Brisbane and reports FL370 RIDLE 0902 ROMPA next SELCAL code is LMDP (QFA B738 VH-XZI). Brisbane advises secondary 5643 and good SELCAL check follows
- 0933Z 13261kHz New Zealand 29 (Houston-Auckland) calls Tahiti a couple of times. Eventually Tahiti SELCALs on CEPR (ANZ B77W ZK-OKN) and advises they have ADS and CPDLC and for ANZ29 to continue on CPDLC. ANZ29 reads back correctly
- 0655Z 8891kHz Gander calls LOT 4 (Chicago-Warsaw) a few times and SELCALs on CJQS (LOT B788 SP-LRC) and advises if they read to call Gander on VHF 127.9
- 0700Z Flightwatch is reading back from FlyDoc 842 that they are reporting a four wheel drive vehicle and asks if the vehicle is seeking assistance. A check on Flightaware shows this for FD842 (Adelaide-Alice Springs):
- 0847Z 8903kHz New Zealand 288 (Shanghai-Auckland) calls Tokyo and advises they are CPDLC and requests a SELCAL check. Tokyo obliges on JQEM (ANZ B789 ZK-NZJ)
- 0859Z 8855kHz Jetstar 216 (Auckland-Melbourne) calls dispatch but very weak, dispatch reads back they are due into Melbourne at 1201
- 0922Z 8879kHz Singapore 222 (Sydney-Singapore) calls Brisbane
- 0923Z 8879kHz Speedbird 16 (Sydney-Singapore) calls Brisbane
- 0732Z 9047kHz Aussie 768 calls Canberra Control and advises some times including an ETA for 0815 and requests a SELCAL check on MPBF (ASY A332 A39-005)
- 0744Z 8861kHz Moresby Radio calls Air Calin 881 (Kansai-Noumea) twice with no response
- 0746Z 8903kHz Moresby Radio advises Air Calin 881 to contact Moresby now on 123.4. ACI881 reads back correctly
- 0059Z 8867kHz ZK-EAB (Beech 1900D) reports MADAP 0058 FL240 OLREL 0219 MAGDA 0341. Auckland advises this is primary secondary is 13261 and reports ‘ops normal’ at 0145
- 1845Z 8906kHz Santa Maria SELCALs on DFBQ (TOM B752 G-OOB) and Thomson 79J (Glasgow-Tenerife) answers. Santa Maria advises TOM79J to squak 3763 and monitor frequency 122.15. TOM79J reads back correctly
- 1903Z 8906kHz Azores 174 (Oporto-Ponta Delgada) calls Santa Maria and advises they are FL350 and estimate 39N 20W at 1913. Santa Maria provides a good SELCAL check on DGBP (RZO A320 CS-TKQ) and advises secondary is 5598 and from 39N 20W maintain FL350 mach decimal 78
- 1913Z 8906kHz Sanata Maria SELCALs on BQPS (TAP A319 CS-TTG) and Portugal 1823 (Lisbon-Lajes) responds. Santa Maria advises to squawk 5661 and monitor 132.15. TAP1823 reads back correctly
- 1928Z 8906kHz New York SELCALs on DJKP (PLM B744 EC-KSM) and clears Pullman 7003 (Madrid-Cancun) to reach FL360 by position AYTTE. The aircraft can’t be heard but New York says readback was correct
- 1935Z 8906kHz Santa Maria SELCALs on ELFJ (TCX A321 G-TCDN) but comms id getting weak and I can’t make much out
- 0535Z 9032kHz Mac Centre calls ICE 09 and advises them to try contact on 11256, however ICE 09 advises they read Mac Centre 5 by 5 now and advise URROA 0522 and SNIPT 0602 and they are FL350 mach decimal 78
- 0707Z 9047kHz Navy Auckland calls Canberra Control for a radio check. Canberra Control hears them loud and clear
- 0744Z Gander calls N2929 but there’s no follow up comms
- 0755Z 8903kHz Philippine 479 (Nagoya-Cebu) calls Tokyo who advises they contact 11384 now!
- 0755Z 11384kHz Phillipine 479 calls Tokyo and reports some positions and FL320. They receive a SELCAL check on MQAC (PAL A321 RP-C9902)
- 0801Z 8867kHz Jetstar 220 (Queenstown-Melbourne) calls Auckland and reports BEBOB 0800 FL360 BUGBA 0819. Auckland advises secondary is 8867 and at BUGBA contact Brisbane on 13261 and SELCAL check is good on ESJQ (JST A320 VH-VQC)
I thought I’d share with you the tools and commands I needed to use to get a working rendition of my Elad FDM-S2 in GQRx on my Raspberry Pi3.
The first thing was to download the software identified in this document and compiled each one using “make”. Read the document to get a good idea of what it is you are going to do.
Once I had the firmware and the three compiled programmes I just renamed them elad-firmware, elad-comms and elad-server and moved them to a folder of their own.
I then downloaded GQRx for Raspberry Pi from here and unzipped it to a suitable folder of its own.
Being lazy and not providing user (pi) access to the USB device I ran the firmware as sudo like:
sudo /home/pi/elad/elad-firmware SG01O3 1 (replace SG01O3 with your own S2 serial number)
After I had successfully flashed the firmware I ran:
sudo /home/pi/elad/elad-comms SG01O3 8895000 01 192000 192.168.1.27 6666
The IP address is my RPi3 as I’m going to run the client and server apps on the same machine, you can do it on separate machines.
Then in another terminal I ran:
sudo /home/pi/elad/elad-server 192.168.1.27 6666 &
sudo /home/pi/elad/openfifo &
After that start GQRx from it’s own directory as user pi:
Then in the config box enter the path to the file which is /tmp/fifo1, the centre frequency as in theelad-comms command and the sample rate again as in the elad-comms command. Enter the sample rate again in the next config box and that should be all you need.
- 0723Z 8825kHz New York working Delta 54 (Atlanta-Lagos) providing Santa Maria frequencies I think
- 0747Z 8870kHz United 177 (Guam-Kansai) working San Francisco FL400 and SELCAL code is RSAG (UAL B737 N15712). SFO advises secondary is 8903 for Tokyo, I missed the primary frequency
- 0748Z 8870kHz United 873 (Guam-Tokyo) calls San Francisco and advises they are CPDLC N215UA and requests a SELCAL check on QREF (UAL B772 N215UA). SFO advises secondary is 5652
- 0755Z 8870kHz Korean Air 114 (Guam-Incheon) calls San Francisco and advises they are CPDLC requesting SELCAL check on MRBF (KAL B77W HL8250)
- 0758Z 8870kHz Philippines Air Force 5040 calls San Francisco advising they are FL180 and negative SELCAL
- 0809Z 8825kHz Ascot 6500 calls Santa Maria advising (I think!) 40N 16W 0807 FL300 35N 19W ???? and requesting climb FL320. Santa Maria advises standby on the request. A short time later RRR6500 is cleared to climb FL320 report leaving report reaching. RRR6500 advises they are leaving FL300 at this time
- 0841Z 8906kHz Speedbird 88MC (London-Funchal) calls Santa Maria and requests climb FL380
- 0843Z 8906kHz Santa Maria calls BAW88MC unable higher due traffic 1,000 feet above, try again in ten minutes
- 0847Z 8825kHz Santa Maria working Delta 54 advising secondary 8906 (see first entry this evening)
I managed to get my Elad FDM-S2 receiver working with GQRX on a Raspberry Pi3. So far it seems to be reasonably stable but consuming 50% CPU. Here’s a screen grab:Read More
- 0652Z 8867kHz Ice 05 calls Auckland and I hear faintly that they are on CPDLC (assume it’s a C-17 coming up from the ice to Christchurch)
- 0714Z 8867kHz VH-CGF (GLF4 Queenstown-Essendon) calls Auckland and advises they have lost communications with Christchurch on 129.3. Auckland advises primary 8867 5643 secondary and request estimate for BUGBA. CGF advises they are FL400 and estimate BUGBA at 0727 and will contact Brisbane at BUGBA on 13261 secondary 8867
- 0730Z 8867kHz VH-CGF calls Brisbane and advises they are cruising at mach decimal 80 and that they will descend to FL380
- 0820Z 8992kHz Q9Z calling Anderson Global for a phone patch to a DSN number but there’s no response from two numbers tried
- 0909Z 8942kHz Bravo Whisky Juliet 99 calls Manila few times, a bit weak but eventually they make contact and Manila sends a SELCAL check on CMBH (B737 N90R) which according to circumstantial evidence is en route Singapore to Guam