Yupiteru MVT-7100 Scanner
On a local trading site recently I came across this MVT-7100 for sale described as faulty and only good for repairs. With a “Buy Now” price of NZ$35 I took the chance of buying it before anyone else did.
When the receiver arrived it appeared in reasonable condition, the case was not well worn, the perspex screen cover was unscratched and all the knobs were in place. I connected it to the AC adapter that came with it and she fired up immediately to the “Clear” messge indicating that it had been reset and then settle on 144.00MHz and FM mode. So I programmed a couple of AM airband memories and reception was good with the homebrew external antenna and with the supplied telescopic antenna. I was starting to feel warm and fuzzy about my purchase and ventured to disconnect power and insert some alkaline batteries. Cool, that worked OK but the memories were lost and the receiver reset itself.
I left the power connected overnight and and repeated the process in the morning this time with no adverse reset. So for the next few days I added some more memories and replaced the alkalines with NiMh batteries. I then took it out to a local airport for the day and she worked very well, the only problem I’ve found is a slightly noisy volume pot when adjusting the volume but once I’ve stopped twiddling with the knob it’s fine.
However, when I got home that day and turned the receiver on it appeared dead! Oh no! I tried removing the batteries and replacing with the AC adapter and in doing so accidentally squeezed the case and she sparked into life again. I squeezed the case again, turning off and on and sure enough she went dead and resurrected herself a couple of times until I decided that there was something happening on the inside.
I spent the next couple of evening stripping the whole receiver down and cleaning the boards, connector pins and knobs, reassembled it and I’ve had no problems in the last week or so.
So for NZ$35 (US$18) or so I reckon I got a pretty good deal!