As mentioned here I’ve been using a secondhand Kenwood R-5000 for listening recently and finding a very good receiver, much more sensitive and pleasant to listen to than any of my other hardware and SDR’s.
Not long after receiving it I noticed that the audio to the internal and external speakers stopped working. This is not normally an issue for me as I use headphones 90% of the time but when listening to VHF then I like the audio coming from the speakers. After opening the case up I located the headphone/recording socket board and took to it with a good measure of CRC and a small screwdriver to ensure the spring connectors were working as designed. Putting the board back in place and turning the radio back on, bingo, audio through any means now!
A second issue started to bug me and that was the ‘dot’ problem when tuning to 5 or 6MHz, all other bands were fine. An interrogation of the internet gave me some options but the only one that has so far partially solved it was removing some of the potting compound from around the VCO components. This is what it looked like before I started chipping away at it:
And here’s what an hour of chipping away resulted in:
Another few nights of chipping away at the compound will hopefully see the end of the ‘dot’ issue.Read More